GATE – Physics:

The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is a national-level examination that assesses comprehensive knowledge of various undergraduate engineering and science subjects. The Indian Institute of Science and seven Indian Institutes of Technology jointly administer GATE on behalf of the National Coordination Board – GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Education (MoE), Government of India. The GATE Physics exam assesses a candidate’s undergraduate-level knowledge and understanding of the subject.

Eligibility Criteria:

Degree/ProgramQualifying Degree/ExaminationEligibility
B.Sc. (Research) / B.S.Bachelor’s degree in Science (Post-Diploma/4 years after 10+2)Currently in the 3rd year or higher grade or already completed
M. Sc. / M.A. / MCA or equivalentMaster’s degree in any branch of Arts/Science/Mathematics/Statistics/ Computer Applications or equivalentCurrently in the first year or higher or already Completed
B.Sc. / B.A. / B.Com.Integrated M.Sc. or 5-year integrated B.S.-M.S. programCurrently in the 3rd year or higher or already completed
Int. M.Sc. / Int. B.S. / M.S.Integrated M.Sc. or 5-year integrated B.S.-M.S. programCurrently in the 3rd year or higher or already completed

Application Process:

The following steps are involved in the application process for the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) for physics:

  1. Candidates must register on the GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS) portal on the official GATE website.
  2. Filling Out the Application Form: After registering, candidates must complete the online application form by providing personal and academic information.
  3. Uploading Documents: Candidates must upload scanned copies of their photo, signature, and any other required documents, such as their degree certificate/provisional degree.
  4. Application Fee Payment: Candidates must pay the application fee online (via net banking/credit card/debit card).
  5. Application Form Submission: Candidates must submit their application form after filling out the application form, uploading the required documents, and paying the application fee.

Before completing the application form, candidates should carefully read the instructions and eligibility criteria. The GATE exam is only held once a year, in the month of February. The announcements are made in the month of September through various Employment News.

Exam Pattern and Syllabus

The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) for Physics is divided into General Aptitude and Physics (the core subject). The core subject accounts for 85% of the questions, with general aptitude accounting for the remaining 15%. A total of 55 core physics questions and 10 general aptitude questions will be asked.

Apart from General Aptitude, the GATE Physics Syllabus contains nine sections/major topics. Mathematical Physics, Classical Mechanics, Electromagnetic Theory, Quantum Mechanics, Thermodynamics and Statistical Physics, Atomic and Molecular Physics, Solid State Physics & Electronics, Nuclear and Particle Physics are just a few examples.

The exam will last three hours and will be administered online via computer. Multiple choice questions (MCQs), multiple select questions (MSQs), and numerical answer type (NAT) questions will be included. More information about the GATE Physics Syllabus and Exam Pattern can be found on the official GATE website.

Infinite Learning: Your Partner in Success for the GATE Physics Exam!

By providing comprehensive study material and practice tests, Infinite Learning can assist candidates in effectively preparing for the GATE Physics exam. Our experienced faculty provides personalised attention and expert guidance to candidates in order for them to succeed in this difficult but rewarding examination.

At Infinite Learning, we recognise that each student is unique and has different learning requirements. That is why we give each student individual attention in order to help them reach their full potential. Our study materials are meticulously designed to cover all of the important topics in the GATE Physics syllabus, and our worksheets provide ample practice to assist candidates in improving their problem-solving skills.